A diminutive American Federal inlaid chest of drawers, circa 1795-1810, Maryland. The “bureau” is in an overall excellent state of preservation, and retains its original bracket feet, and the majority of the original glue blocking system to the underside of the case. The case drawers are inlaid with a “half-lunette” band, which is a curious and usual inlay, but nonetheless original. Further research may reveal a source of this unconventional inlay and a possible parallel may emerge that could associate this chest with a specific workshop, or a particular urban area in Maryland. . Secondary woods are tulip polar and yellow pine.
SOLD TO WASHINGTON, D.C COLLECTOR OF NOTE